This course provides managers with the essential framework needed to design and develop an effective cybersecurity program. Students explore methods used to raise general security awareness, review current industry practices, and develop expertise needed to adapt policies to achieve confidentiality, integrity, and availability of organizational assets and data.
- Understand, open access and limited (traditional) access, perimeter defenses and security, point solutions and life cycle (holistic) security, risk analysis and threat analysis.
- Identify hacker strategies and attack tools, attack classes, i.e., distributed denial of service tools, backdoor programs, virus types, sniffer programs and Trojan horses.
- Gain competency in developing strategies and countermeasures for thwarting hacker exploits and tactics.
- Establish and implement an incident response team to address incursions on enterprise networking operations.
- How to plan, respond to and survive a hacker attack.
- Construct and administer a plan for hardening the network’s infrastructure against hacker incursions and security breaches. Focus is on routers, operating systems and firewalls.
- How to plan and coordinate the implementation of holistic security measures in multiple layers within the IT networking environment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing operating models for security risk assessment and vulnerability assessment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in understanding how to apply the various options available for IT security architecture to a given set of requirements. Focus is on firewalls, intrusion detection systems, authentication and single sign on systems and vulnerability evaluation tools.
- How to track vulnerabilities and security incidents through public Web sites and plan for applying vendor related patches and updates in an ongoing basis.
- Demonstrate proficiency in design and development of security risk analysis models.
The materials within this course focus on the Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs) identified within the Specialty Areas listed below. Click to view Specialty Area details within the interactive National Cybersecurity Workforce Framework.
If you would like to provide feedback for this course, please e-mail the NICCS SO at NICCS@hq.dhs.gov.