In this course, you will learn how to identify and mitigate CWE-131: Testing for Incorrect Calculation of Buffer Size. Coverage includes techniques for spotting CWE-131 vulnerabilities through code review and testing. Secure coding best practices are included, as well as descriptions of technology and platform-specific weaknesses as appropriate. This course requires basic knowledge of client-server applications, web applications, the Software Development Life Cycle, cryptography, and the STRIDE model. Upon completion of this course, you will be able to identify CWE-131 vulnerabilities, recognize its potential impact, apply coding best practices to avoid it, find CWE-131 vulnerabilities in your application’s source code, and test your application to detect it.
On successful completion of this course, learners should have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify Incorrect Calculation of Buffer Size vulnerabilities
- Recognize the potential impact of this vulnerability
- Apply coding best practices to avoid it
- Find Incorrect Calculation of Buffer Size vulnerabilities in your application’s source code
- Test your application to detect it
If you would like to provide feedback for this course, please e-mail the NICCS SO at NICCS@hq.dhs.gov.