All modern applications rely on certain secrets to run from database connection strings to API keys or cryptographic keys. Keeping these secrets is critical to the security of the application as they typically create a significant hole that allows an attacker to bypass the authentication that has been configured by the software administrator. This course teaches how to identify and test for the use of hard coded credentials.
On successful completion of this course, learners should have the knowledge and skills to:
- Determine whether an application contains hard-coded authentication credentials
- Determine whether an application contains hard-coded cryptographic keys
- Find plain-text secrets in application binaries
- Find leaked secrets in code repositories
- Identify techniques for advanced testing of application code for the presence of hard-coded secrets
If you would like to provide feedback for this course, please e-mail the NICCS SO at NICCS@hq.dhs.gov.