In Visual Studio 2010/.Net 4.0 Microsoft released the Entity Framework which provides a powerful object-relational mapping technology that allows the developer to build a conceptual object model over any backend database, providing a new platform for universal data access.
The course starts with an introduction to the Entity Framework where students learn about data access and object-relational modeling. They also learn how Entity Framework works and the tools it provides, as well as the entity data model, model designer, and how XML is used in mapping models.
Other topics include: using stored procedures and functions with Entity Framework, querying data using Entity Framework objects, and modifying and customizing the entity data objects using the model designer, partial classes, methods, and events. In addition students will learn about using code-first development to develop new Entity Framework applications. Course will be taught primarily using C#, but code will available in both C# and VB.Net.
- Introduction to the Entity Framework
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) and Data Access
- The Entity Framework and Data Model
- Entity Framework Tools
- Creating and Using the Entity Data Model
- Querying Entity Framework Data
- Updating Entity Framework Data
- Modifying Entities with the Model Designer
- Code-First Development