Infotec offers a 24-hour Electronics Technicians Association (ETA) Certified Fiber Optics Installer (CFOI) training program. This course is intended to provide a more in-depth study of the topics related to Fiber Optics Installer Certification. Students will be introduced to Fiber Optics to help them establish a basic understanding of the fiber optics industry and its technology, common terminology, fiber optic theory, and fiber optic components. In addition, students will construct fiber optic connectors using Standard Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) connectors, test fiber optic connectors, splices, and cables in accordance with telecommunication industry standards. Students will build and test fiber cables and components using Standard Mechanical Splices and learn appropriate techniques for Fusion Splicing and testing fiber optic cables with an OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer).
The Infotec ETA Certified Fiber Optics Installer program provides a detailed, hands-on instruction and practice of fiber optic installation techniques. Successful completion of the program will result in the trainee being certified as a Fiber Optics Installer from Electronics Technicians Association and awarded a Certificate of Completion from Infotec.
- Assemble a patch cord using anaerobic epoxy that meets or exceeds TIA/EIA-568-B.3 loss requirements for a mated pair (0.75 dB)
- Assemble a patch cord using oven-cured epoxy that meets or exceeds TIA/EIA-568-B.3 loss requirements for a mated pair (0.75 dB)
- Assemble a mechanical splice that meets or exceeds TIA/EIA-568-B.3 attenuation requirement (0.3 dB)
- Assemble a fusion splice
- Measure bi-directional loss in a splice with a light source and power meter
- Measure bi-directional loss in a fiber optic link with a light source and power meter using one of the TIA/EIA-526-14A methods
- Measure the bi-directional loss in a mated pair with a light source and power meter
- Evaluate a connector end face as defined by TIA/EIA-455-57B