Open Source Digital Forensics (OSDF) explores forensic investigation using freely redistributable, open source software tools. This class is ideal for law enforcement or commercial investigative organizations seeking to gain a digital forensics capability without paying expensive license fees. This course focuses on analysis of PCs, though some discussion of other platforms is included.
- Understand the primary activities and goals of digital forensics.
- Explore data types and digital representations of data.
- Overview data acquisition processes and constraints.
- Use freely-available open-source software (OSS) tools for forensic purposes.
- Acquire forensic data.
- Ingest (extract) evidence.
- Examine disk images.
If you would like to provide feedback for this course, please e-mail the NICCS SO at NICCS@hq.dhs.gov.