This course introduces techniques used to ensure secure transmission of packets across large, multi-layer enterprise networks. Security issues include encryption and authentication, firewall implementation and creation of virtual private networks (VPNs) to secure data transmitted across a public network such as the Internet.
- Given the fact that companies are placing an increasing emphasis on computer security, describe the basic principles that underlie security issues.
- Given the need for confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data, explain the fundamentals and implementation of confidentiality, integrity, and availability, the C.I.A. of security assurances along with authentication and non-repudiation.
- Given that many companies have been victim to a malicious software attack, describe the types of attacks and countermeasures used against them.
- Given that denial of service is a form of attack to service availability, describe the countermeasures used to combat this threat.
- Given that firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and intrusion detection systems are a vital aspect to any organization, explain how these devices can be an effective means of protecting a local system or network of systems.
- Given that Internet security is an area of concern for all security professionals, explain why the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TSL) are fundamental to any network security professional.
- Given that wireless networks are targets of attacks, describe WEP, WPA, and WPA2 (802.11i) wireless security protocols and countermeasures.
- Given prescribed technical documentation guidelines, develop written reports and oral presentations.