In this "defense-in-depth" course, firewalls and network IDS issues are discussed. A detailed understanding of firewall configuration and rule sets, load balancing, web farms, wireless access, web security issues and network intrusion detection is explored to prepare the student with the basic tools to coordinate the design and implementation of perimeter network defenses for a high volume, high access site.
- Understand the role that perimeter defense plays in an effective network defense in depth.
- Understand technologies normally associated with defense at the network borders.
- Understand methods for enabling business processes while ensuring effective security.
- Based on a notional scenario, design an effective perimeter defense architecture/strategy.
- Understand how to administer and assess the effectiveness of a perimeter defense.