Analyzes the NTFS file system in detail with an emphasis on forensic information from metadata, slack space, and unallocated space. Examination of various Windows® artifacts using appropriate software.
At the end of the course students will be able to:
1. Extract forensically useful information about a file (e.g. location, size, attributes, and dates and times) from an NTFS file system.
2. Recover a deleted file from an NTFS file system.
3. Find alternate data streams.
4. Determine the links to a file.
5. Identify and extract recycled files in a recycle bin.
6. Use an appropriate registry file to obtain evidence from a registry.
The materials within this course focus on the Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs) identified within the Specialty Areas listed below. Click to view Specialty Area details within the interactive National Cybersecurity Workforce Framework.