The Federal Virtual Training Environment (FedVTE)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) partnered with the Department of Defense (DOD) and the Department of State (DOS) to create FedVTE, a virtual training environment with over 30,000 active users.
The Federal Virtual Training Environment (FedVTE) is an online training center that provides Federal cybersecurity and IT professionals with hands-on labs and training courses. The environment is accessible from any Internet-enabled computer and is free to users and their organizations. FedVTE is based on a proven DOD technology used to supplement defense service training.
The FedVTE content library includes more than 800 hours of training, 150 demos, and 3,000+ pieces of content. Users practice what they’ve learned in a “sandbox” network in more than 100 hands-on labs. An audio and video recording of each pre-recorded classroom course is synchronized with a transcript and the instructor slides. If users pause or exit, FedVTE will bookmark their place. Additional features include the ability to:
• fast forward and rewind pre-recorded classroom courses;
• highlight text and take notes on transcripts and slides; and
• view and print training certificates and progress reports.
To learn more, contact FedVTE@hq.dhs.gov.
FedVTE Tools and Resources
To better prepare FedVTE students and managers, several resources are available on NICCS. These resources help learners find new training and prepare Community Managers and Training Advisors to fulfill their duties. Links to these resources are offered below:
- FedVTE Courselist - A catalog of Federal Virtual Training Environment courses provided free of charge for the federal workforce. Updated as of January 2014.
- FedVTE Community Manager Guide - Each organizational unit that uses FedVTE has its own community. This guide details tasks available to Community Managers (CM) to manage their communities. This manual is written from the perspective of a CM for a parent organization that has no additional assigned roles, such as Administrator or Training Advisor (TA). Topics include managing a community and managing the users in the community.
- FedVTE Reporting Guide - This guide lists all of the reporting options available in the Federal Virtual Training Environment. While each of these capabilities is described in other documentation, this Guide serves as a summary and index of those reporting capabilities.
- FedVTE Training Advisor Guide - This guide details tasks that may be performed by a user who has the assigned role of Training Advisor in FedVTE. A Training Advisor (TA) has the ability to monitor the training progress of fellow community members. TA’s can generate reports on Users, Courses, and their overall Community.