Any given year, approximately 431 million adults globally fall victim to cybercrime, at a price of $388 billion based on time and monetary loss, costing the world significantly more than the global black market in marijuana, cocaine, and heroin combined. Cybersecurity involves protecting critical information by preventing, detecting, and responding to attacks. Many of our lives depend on digital technology, which makes cybersecurity one of our country’s most important national security priorities. While the government is taking steps to keep our cyber community safe, the government alone cannot solve the problem. Cybersecurity is a shared responsibility.
Securing cyberspace means that we, as a country, must develop a technologically-skilled workforce, a cyber-savvy public, and an effective pipeline of future employees. Billions of dollars are being spent on new technologies to help secure the U.S. cyberspace. It will take a national strategy, similar to the effort of upgrading science and mathematics education in the 1950’s, to meet this challenge.
To help with this effort, the government established the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE). NICE is a nationally-coordinated effort comprised of over 20 Federal departments and agencies, academia, and industry. The mission of this initiative is to enhance the overall cybersecurity posture of the United States by accelerating the availability of educational and training resources designed to improve the cyber behavior, skills, and knowledge of every segment of the population, enabling a safer cyberspace for all. The NICE initiative extends beyond the Federal workplace to include private industry, those changing careers, and students in kindergarten through post-graduate school. Learn more about NICE.
What You Can Do
- Protect Yourself. Increase your general cybersecurity Awareness and learn how to protect yourself online.
- Continue Your Education. Explore degree programs, Internship opportunities, and available scholarships.
- Find A New Career. Explore career possibilities with the National Workforce Framework or learn what a career in cybersecurity is all about.
- Stay Informed. Keep abreast of cybersecurity-related news, events and Research. See our listing of upcoming conferences, training opportunities and networking events.
- Stay Connected. Join the cybersecurity Community and collaborate, share knowledge, network, and learn about developments within the field.